TRANSPORT PLANNER (ROAD HAULAGE)
We are looking to recruit a Transport Planner who has extensive planning, customer service, and driver liaison experience to route core fleet and subcontract vehicles across the UK. This is a fast paced ever changing operation and the successful Transport Planner should have experience of planning for Rigid and Subcontractor haulage.
Working as part of a small team in this highly successful organisation, as a Transport Planner you will be expected to build and maintain a relationship with each customer and to communicate any issues or queries in good time.
You will issue drivers with clear instructions and react to any changing situation that develops on a day to day basis. You will be able to authorise the hire of Agency Staff and make decisions regarding 3rd party back-loads based on revenue received.
Duties and responsibilities
- Plan and manage own fleet, dedicated and sub-contract hauler routes and loads – issue instructions and communicate nature of work
- Maintain high levels of customer satisfaction – keep in regular contact with drivers, customers, and subcontractors
- Ensure maximum use of resources in a cost-effective manner – Proactively work to reduce late deliveries and missed time slots
- Minimise fuel costs and maximise driver hours through forward planning, back-loading and identifying areas of cost saving – strong organisational skills
- Brief and debrief drivers – ensure WTD and Tachograph requirements
- Ensure enquiries, pricing requests and quotes are cost-effective and responded to in good time
- Achieve agreed contractual KPI’s, financial and service goals for the company
- Keep up to date with current legislation regarding Road Haulage regulations
- Use company software and systems to ensure efficient operations
- Managing subcontractors
- Prioritise workload
- Able to work flexibly and make decisions quickly
- Proven experience of planning for general road freight, load planning and 3rd party logistics
- Extensive knowledge of operational processes and practices in transport operations.
- Experience of load planning and knowledge of vehicle utilisation
- Experience and/ or qualifications in Contract Lifting would be very useful
- Ability to work well as part of a team or individually, often in high pressure environments and establish effective working relationships at all levels of the business
- Strong communication skills
- Extremely IT Literate – Microsoft Office and Google Sheets is essential
- Happy to embrace change and ever improving systems, procedures and technology
- Must be able to work on own initiative in a pressurised environment
- Excellent UK geographical knowledge
- Strong organisational skills
- Proven Customer Service experience
- Strong numerical reasoning skills
- Managing Subcontractor relationships
In addition to the above skills, the employee will demonstrate a keen eye for detail whilst working under pressure. They will also have the ability to learn quickly whilst being professional and confident.
This role is office based. Hours are based on a variation of working patters between the hours of 0700 and 1800 to meet the needs of the business.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary – £20,000 – £25,000 depending on experience
Complete the application form on our Work for us page